Monday, March 5, 2012

The shortest month but it was longer this year

Isn't that what it's called when we have a February 29th?

We were talking about blogging at the Bachelor last week and someone said something about mine, and then I got to thinking about how I hadn't written anything in a while, which then made me (take a week to) write something. If you give a mouse a cookie, am I right?

The point is, we have had some really great things, and also some really sucky things happen in February, and I just wanted to give a quick little update. I promise I am not trying to be one of those people who posts things on Facebook like, "So sad today . . . .  :(" or "Sometimes life just sucks!" just so everyone will ask what's wrong. I just wanted to throw it out that I had a hard month, just in case anyone was laboring under the delusion that my life was super perfect. I HIGHLY doubt anyone is, but you never know. Reading blogs does crazy things to a woman's brain. The point is, among some super hard stuff, February was better than usual! Because usually I am so sick of Winter by now, but if Winter is really more like Spring, which it has been this year--win win.

So here are a couple of fun things that went down in February:

--For Valentine's Day we went out to dinner at La Jolla Groves, and it was delicious. Oh, except we went on the 13th, at like 5:30, so there was hardly anyone there. Cha ching! That's the way to do Valentine's Day. On the actual day, Chris wrote me some nice notes, bought me some candy, and made dinner, which was so great because I didn't have a plan for dinner, and not having to figure that out was incredible. I got him a couple of Nerf guns and sometimes we have wars. Cool wife, Hansel.

--Katie came to town for her birthday and we partied at my house. One of my favorite things about still living in Provo (besides my mom being 3 miles away and looking at the mountains every day) is that people always come home to visit their family, and I am here to welcome them too! One day for my lunch break we went to my house and watched Downton and ate a pork burrito (supplied by Miss Katie), and it was basically the best lunch break--nay, the best DAY--of my life.

--Rob and Allie came to town too, coincidentally, for Allie's birthday, so we again partied at my house to celebrate. Among other things, they found out their baby is a girl, which was so fun and exciting!

--Oh, and speaking of friends with birthdays, Shelly had one too, and we went swimming at the Orem Rec Center, played Jeopardy on the Wii, and went out to Pizza Factory. All really great things. Swimming was amazing, because it was just Shelly and I, like we were 13 and our mom dropped us off. But we are 26. And have been friends for half our lives, which is pretty boss.

--Also it was Tyler's birthday. So many birthday friends.

--I learned to knit. WHAT. I love it. Everyone should go over to their grandmother's house for the afternoon and learn to knit, because I promise it will be a good time.

--Chris got the schedule for his rotations for his 3rd year of Pharmacy school, and we are both so excited about them! He will spend almost a whole year doing 6 week rotations at different pharmacies, and it should be really great. The end is in sight, my friends!

--One night Chris had to study basically all day, but in the evening we had a couple of hours to hang out, so we had a Nerf war in our house, which was so fun. We kept score and stuff. I won. (WHAT? I know. But I really did.) Then we went on a walk and said hi to President Samuelson right after Chris said something about him, and he may or may not have heard us. That was pretty funny. I realize this evening sounds pretty lame, but there was just something so fun and simple about it.

--Another night we went to JCW's for dinner, then went to Toys R Us and looked at toys for like an hour (which, if you're wondering, totally makes you feel like a creep to be there without kids, but we got over it), and, same thing, I'm sure that sounds really boring, but it was awesome. Our favorite thing we saw was this toy. Not because it looked super fun, necessarily, but because the box had a little girl on it who was clearly Hispanic. And then further down the same aisle, there was another cleaning toy with a Hispanic girl on it! But the play shopping carts? Little blonde girls, all of them. Because they are stay at home moms who go shopping while the maids are cleaning their houses, I guess? It was just so blatantly racist that it was also sort of hilarious. 

So there you have it. That's pretty much what we've been up to. February was boss.

Moving on from February events, here are some other pressing matters which have been on my mind:

It's impossible to not feel adorable in red rain boots. I wore mine the other morning while I walked to work and just felt so darn cute. If you have the means I highly recommend picking some up. Except wear more layers of socks than I did, because now I have a blister and I am mad.

Downton? Duh. Love it. Can't wait for season 3. Sorry, SERIES 3. Silly British terms. I love it so much I've been re-watching it with Chris, who tolerates it.

Do you ever have a dream that you are wearing something you saw at the store and really liked? Because last week in a dream I was wearing this scarf from Target. I think that means it must be mine. And I can't find it on their website to link to it, but let me just tell you, it is hot pink and has little tan giraffes all over it and I LOVE IT. (Update: I bought it. But now I can't decide if I'm pulling it off and might return it. DANG YOU, WIDE SCARVES.)

I heard Shaggy's Angel today. Do you know how influential that song is in my life? That sounds like a joke, but I am serious. Because of that song, my mom started using the term "peeps," which in turn made ME start saying "peeps," and I still say it ALL THE TIME.

Speaking of the Bachelor (up at the top of this ridiculousness), I want Courtney to win SO badly. Before everyone is like, "WHAT? But she is the worst!" Stop and think about it. Do you really like Ben? I don't. He is so dumb. So obviously I want him to pick the worst girl. You were too good for him, Kacie B! Don't cry over THAT GUY. You are so cute and you're only 24. Love will find you.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

I need you to post every single day until these boys come. For real. You are such a wonder to me Lady Erin of Mecklenburg. lol. Not sure how you do it. Perhaps it's because anything you write I read in your voice, which is magic. Also, you pull off giraffe scarves no matter how wide they are. Also, lunch - again - soon. I do not live out of town, but that's ok! I can still "come to provo" to see you.

Also, because of you we will either be going to pizza factory, la jolla groves, or JCWs tonight. (there goes the budget...) My taste buds just erupted into cheers.

KILEY said...

Amen Kacie B! Also there is a GAP associate that looks a lot like her.

deb said...

Oh my goodness. Too many things. I will just go with the last two points of your blog, because I can see those, and I am too lazy to scroll and look at other stuff. 1. I saw a music video for that Angel song on 'The Cool TV'. What's the cool tv? Well, if you don't have cable, it is the awesome channel 4.2 via Antenna. We pretty much rule with that station. And that music video? muy fabuloso.

2. This whole time I have been hatin' on Courtney. Now I feel bad, because it makes so much sense. I really don't like Ben and think it is funny that he looks like Francine from Arthur. Also, I still hate Courtney's mouth.

And, since I can remember...perhaps your husband will work with my father someday. He is a pharmacist. Exciting stuff.

Amanda said...

I really want him to pick Courtney. They deserve each other.

Casey said...

Oh...my...gosh...Erin!!!! You make me laugh SOOOOOOO hard!!!! You are the best writer on planet Earth!!

Becca said...

Just started watching Downton Abbey and I am LOVING IT! no one warned me about the *kissing* in the first episode though...SHEESH.

You can pull off ANYTHING Erin. wear that scarf with pride because everything I have ever seen you wear is absolutely adorable, mostly becuase you are so darn cute. You can't help that you can totally rock a giraffe scarf "...born with it!" (tangled...fave line)

Bachelor - yeh I hope courtney wins as well for the same reason. After seeing the women tell all, I have to also say that ABC played their cards well - they had courtney come and play the nice picked on sad apologetic little girl to try to make America like her...BECAUSE SHE WINS and they KNOW everyone will be SO pissed if he picks the terrible girl. But in all reality...he is so dumb. he is really really dumb. so he neeeeeds a lame wife. it just makes sense.

Oh and those toys! for the love, that is SO funny. maybe James and I will go on a date like that. we are trying to do cheap dates...but we don't know how?!!? Although Pinterest acts like they have all these great ideas, they don't. so give me some of your ideas, because I trust you more then pinterest.

kate said...

Best lunch of my life. For realzz.

PS Glad you used the term "Gap ASSOCIATE" Ki. You're so PC :)

Cierra said...

i think everyone needs an erin mecklenburg in their life. they just do. i mean, i don't even live in the same state as you and i (unfortunately) hardly ever get to see you, but just knowing that i have a cool friend like you makes me so happy. that sounded way cheesy, but i promise it's true!

as always, i love your writing and how your mind works. and yes i agree, reading blogs CAN do crazy things to a woman's mind! everyone's lives always seem so stinkin' perfect (i admit i only post the good things too) and somehow i often end up sad that i don't have the AMAZING life that everyone else seems to have. sighhh. i guess i just need to remember that we ALL have problems, right?

anyways, love you and your giraffe scarf.

the.kim.peterson said...

Your updates are pretty much worth the wait, expect for the fact that this one crushed my delusions of your perfect life. Why couldn't you just leave me that?
I'm wondering about the vacuum and the shopping cart. Why do you suppose the fake nail sets or laundry sets don't have asians playing with them? Is that racism through racist neglect? hmmm. Ponder.