Thursday, March 29, 2012

Living in the lap of luxury

Welp, we bought another car. We are now a two car couple. I KNOW! But people, please. There is something I beg of you--just continue to treat us normally, ok? That's all we want. I know we are EXTREMELY intimidating now that we own not one, but TWO Toyota Corollas, which everyone knows are the fanciest cars to ever be produced, but we're still ourselves. We still want to mingle with the common folk who just have one car, ok? We'll just drive separately to hang out with you. The "new" car has become mine, because I don't drive very far every day, and Chris does, so he needs the nicer one. Not that mine isn't nice, I mean come on, look at it--



Chris said he heard somewhere that the longer the antenna is, the nicer the car is, so here he is inspecting said antenna. This theory makes tons of sense, because the antenna is pretty long, and this is the most luxurious vehicle I've ever had the privilege of operating.




I don't know about you, but just looking at the thing makes me feel like I'm in a rap video. Check out those rims. I will totes give you a ride in my ride, just make sure you don't bring any CDs, because we only gots a tape deck! Aw yeah.

In all seriousness, I am SO grateful to have another car, and that we found one for cheap! I don't know why I love making fun of it so much, it probably resents me already. But I have been walking to work every morning (and back home too, some afternoons) for the past 2 and a half years, so this baby truly does feel SO luxurious to me.

Of course though, in true Erin style, as soon as I found out I wouldn't be walking to work anymore, I got all sentimental about my morning walks and so sad they would be over. (I know what you're all thinking--"You can still walk to work sometimes, weirdo." Yeah, I CAN. But you know what else I can do? Sleep longer. And if you think I'm going to choose walking to work over sleeping longer, you must not have met me before.) But really, I almost wanted to tell all my "friends" that I wouldn't be seeing them anymore. There's the lady who walks her dog every morning--he used to bark at me, but doesn't anymore, I think he knows me now. Plus he's not a puppy anymore! He's getting so big!

And the guy who wears the dorky bike helmet and tucks his pants into his socks--love him too. We always nod at each other and I try to clear the sidewalk as he goes by. And the construction workers--ok, I won't miss them, because sometimes because of them I had to do awkward things like jump off a concrete barrier and run through their little "project," all the while praying that the guy with the Santa Claus beard operating the backhoe saw me and wasn't going to reverse and run me over. He didn't.

And the group of middle school boys, they're my favorite. I missed them last summer when they were out of school, plus I had the added suspense of not knowing if they had just finished 8th grade and would be moving on to high school, or if they had just finished 7th and had another year of us crossing paths in the morning. Then sure enough, last August, one morning, there they were! They were excited to see me too. I have never talked to these boys aside from saying hello, but there are about 7 of them that walk to school together in the morning, and we always say hi to each other, or wave from across the street. Sometimes I won't be paying attention, and then I will realize that all of them are like jumping up and down to wave at me on the other side of the 5 lane highway. I love it. And when will I listen to podcasts now? Or call Teenwhizzle? You know? These are the things I will miss about my morning walks.

Jeez, I had a lot more to say about that than I thought I did. And there is probably even more if I just let myself keep typing but the point is--We got a car. It's a 2000 Corolla with a tape deck, it's got power windows and locks, it's maroon, it has an automatic transmission, and it's a Mormon.


Oh hey!

12 comments:

Maggie said...

Erin. I have the same car.

Mine's a dark green 1999 with blingin rims and a tape deck. No power windows or locks so that must be the 2000 improvement.

I bought it in SLC to get me through college. But it just keeps going. I drove it to DC and it is still my little buddy. Couldn't handle the 1 mile commute to church without it.

Kate said...

This is hysterical. I almost teared up while you introduced us to the friendly strangers you're going to miss.

Amanda said...

I love getting a shoutout. And I'm going to miss your calls too! But I love that you have a stylin car to drive. It looks good on you.

alexandria said...

"And its a Mormon!"

I freakin heart you. Dont go so long in between blog posts, I love them so much!

Becca said...

I am sad you won't see your friends anymore, but I have to say...extra sleep is the best thing EVER. on my day off each week...i soak up that extra 45 minutes I get to sleep. I love sleep so much. I am very happy you will get some extra sleep.

Marissa said...

Uh, you make me laugh. You should blog more! Happy driving!

Unknown said...

Way to get a new car! I love it! And I love your explanation of the people you will miss not seeing on your walks...especially the middle school boys. Maybe you should walk once more just to explain what happened. I'm sure they will miss you!

Natassja Elise Turek said...

Erin, I freakin' love you. I seriously laughed to myself throughout your entire post. Congrats on the new car. Condolences on you loss:)

Kristin said...

oh hey! :) lol. this was fantastic. sometimes the way you write makes me think I am living all wrong. Who would be my morning walk friends? I want morning walk friends! And it's a mormon. hilarious.

Unknown said...

Are you sure you still want to be friends? We only have one car...and it's a saturn that leaks when it rains because the moonroof doesn't close all the way. You have moved up to an upper echelon and it will be a long time until I'm there too. I guess this is goodbye for now.

Just kidding. Now you can have commute friends. Like the guy who always picks his nose at the stoplight or the person who sings along to the radio in a funny way.

Love ya!
Cherie

Casey said...

Erin, you should write for a living!!!!!! I LOVE reading your stuff!!

M.C. Sommers said...

How are you so hilarious? Seriously. This was the best. I used to complain about walking to BYU everyday when I was in college and now I kinda miss those walks. Of course, I would always take sleep over walking.

And I think you are on to something with that antenna thing.