Monday, February 6, 2012

Best Bad Songs

The other day I was listening to a podcast called How To Do Everything. It's pretty good, I recommend it. Anyway, somehow the song Insensitive by Jann Arden (which is really a great song) came up, and they got talking about the best bad songs. They had people submit their favorite really bad songs, and then the next week they would play little clips of each submission and have people vote for which was truly the worst.

It got me thinking about the terrible songs I love, so I decided to make a little list. The rule on the podcast, however, was that YOU had to genuinely like the song. So I really truly love each of these songs, while also recognizing that they are also pretty bad. In no particular order:

(Each of these is a link to Youtube, so if you don't know these fantastic songs, I urge you, please, to educate yourself.)
Fernando

It's All Coming Back To Me Now (I had forgotten the magic of this video. Good heavens, this is good stuff.)

Making Love Out of Nothing At All (Oh gosh. Another INCREDIBLE video.)

Brandy You're a Fine Girl

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Shelly, please don't feel bad, but I'm realizing a lot of these were your influence. You have to admit that basically all of Air Supply is pretty awesomely bad, though.

Everyone please tell me--what is your favorite terrible song?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

All of those are on my list too. I'd have to add:
Summergirls by LFO
The Final Countdown
Lip Gloss by L'il Mama
pretty much any Celine Dion power ballad
and
Livin' la Vida Loca.

Come to think of it, almost any song that came out while we were in late elementary school/junior high. Those last few years of the nineties had some horrible songs that I still love. To this day if "I just wanna Fly" by Sugar Ray comes on the the radio I cannot turn it off.

Unknown said...

One more thing, you'll never hear me say a bad thing about Neil Diamond. I love him. But some of his songs don
't make any sense. Go listen to Porcupine Pie or Cracklin' Rosie. The first one is especially confusing. But I dare you to listen to Cracklin' Rosie and not smile and start singing along. It's impossible.

Neil Diamond Forever.

Unknown said...

sorry I'm leaving all the comments. But I just remembered Toni Braxton's "Unbreak my Heart." My sister used to have the tape of the single. We listened to it all the time. The best part was the other side of the tape had the spanish version. Of course we memorized that too. Don't be surprised if I am thinking of these all day and keep leaving you comments because I really really love bad songs.

Erin said...

Cherie, these are gold! Thank you! Also, I can't believe I forgot about Neil Diamond. I Am . . . I Said? That song is AMAZING.

And I agree about those last few years of the 90s. Some really great stuff happened then.

Kristin said...

I'm surprised "Unpretty" didn't make the list. Oh boy. LOVE it.

I'm a big fan of a LOT of bad songs. lol. Pretty fantastic.

Yolanda said...

It would have to be "Just Got Paid" by NSync. Only true NSYNC fans know this one!

Jodi said...

Anything by Hanson is on the top of my list!

Rob said...

I just HAD to post this little gem, everyone should check it out. I think it's catchy :) (Collin loved this if you remember)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5GkLM5C7M

Shelly said...

I am offended.

Jodi already said Hanson, but I'm going to get a little more specific and say Mmmmbop. Still love that song.