Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Winter Survival Guide

Don't our garbage cans look gorgeous in the snow?

It snowed this weekend in Utah, and it was BEAUTIFUL. But it also got me thinking about how every year when the snow comes, people start complaining about winter and how much they hate it. But I believe that people can be turned into winter lovers--okay, winter TOLERATORS--if they try. I thought of some good skillz to do that, and I would like to share them with y'all.

Just to be clear, I don't myself hate winter. Most years I feel sort of meh about it, I have had the occasional dread associated with it, but this year I actually am getting really excited! And I feel like nearly everyone around me hates winter, and I just want people to be happy.

So, here we have: Erin's Guide To Not Hating Winter. These are my suggestions. Take them or leave them, but I think they could be helpful:
  • Be prepared. "If you are prepared, ye shall not hate winter." I think that's how the saying goes. So get yourself some warm boots. Those are a lifesaver. Target has some great ones, check these out. And scarves--turns out they really do warm you up! I used to think they just looked cute, but they really do help. Wear a scarf. And a hat too. And gloves. All those things help you. And it's a good idea to start carrying around a bigger purse so that once you go indoors you can stash all those winter accessories in it. In The Happiness Project (a book I highly recommend), she talks about how she's grumpy when she's cold, so she started bundling up all the time, even if she sort of felt silly, but how she was so much happier when warm. I realized I'm sort of the same way! The other night Chris and I ventured out and he was in short sleeves and shorts, and I put on my furry boots, my puffy coat, a big fat scarf, and a warm hat. We looked really silly side by side but I was warm!
  • Get your car prepared. Get one of those snow scraper things that has a brush and a scraper, they only cost like $3 and you don't have to pull out a credit card for your icy windows. And get some of those cheap gloves from the dollar store and leave them in your car all the time, so your fingers don't freeze when you de-snowify your vehicle.
  • Find a winter hobby. I'm from Utah, but have been snowboarding one time and skiing one time. Way to waste the greatest snow on earth, Erin! I'm just not that into either of them. So for a long time I thought there was nothing outdoorsy for me in the winter. But then I discovered snowshoeing. And oh my gosh. I mean, it's hiking! In the winter! Hiking is one of my favorite things in the world, and realizing I could do it year round was the best thing of my life.

Snowshoeing!

  • Save things for winter. If you drink hot chocolate and make soup and wear sweaters year round, it won't be fun to start doing all that once it starts snowing. The novelty of cold weather activities will make you life the cold weather more.
  • Listen to Christmas music. Duh.
  • Change the decor in your house. Put out some more blankets to cozy up with on the couch, hang a wreath on the door, and obviously get a Christmas tree and put presents under it.
  • Look around. The morning after a snowstorm is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. The mountains are so breathtaking when they're covered in snow. Winter sunsets are always the most gorgeous. That January inversion produces some of the most stunning sunsets, which is kind of gross but also awesome. 
  • Remember that your car is now a moving refrigerator! I love this. You know how sometimes you're out running errands, and you have to go to the grocery store, and then somewhere else, but first you have to go home and unload your groceries? In the winter you don't have to do that! I forget about it every year, and every year I'm excited. (Maybe every year I should just get better at managing my time, but here we are.) 
  • Play in the snow. On Saturday Chris and I had a snowball fight in the backyard, dug a tunnel through the snow piled on top of the car, and took videos of each other shaking all the snow out of a tree. It was awesome.

  • Go on a vacation. Southern Utah is still sunny and relatively warm through the winter, and Las Vegas or Arizona definitely are. Sometimes a little bit of a break is all you need to keep soldiering through to March. 
  • Don't be so dramatic, keep things in perspective. Winter WILL end, and it WILL get warm again. In February it is really hard to remember that, but I promise you it will happen, every single year.

That's what I came up with. What am I missing? Who else has winter skillz?

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great list! I also like taking advantage of the cold to stay inside and be cosy. When it's cold out, it makes it even more enjoyable to stay in and play board games, make hot chocolate, watch movies, eat popcorn, etc.
Making snowmen and snow angels are always fun, too.
Oh, and I find it makes a big difference in the winter, if I make sure to get out in the sun for a little while every day. Sometimes it's only out for a few hours, between all the cloudyness, and it's important to get some time in the sun to soak up important vitamins that help ward of the winter blues.

Unknown said...

I love it! can you do a re-post around the end of February? I think I will need a boost around then knowing that the snow won't melt until April. Seriously, I LOVE snow and winter, so Alaska is a good place for us, except driving in it. But, you know, after months of being cold, well, it gets old for all of us.

Emily said...

I literally burst into tears reading this. Also, you guys are SO cute!!!

Emily Richards said...

I second what Kimberly said- spending a little time outside, getting some Vitamin D! I'm so glad you're not a winter hater. I am a self proclaimed winter lover and summer...not lover. It's also a good time to hold hands and cuddle with a cute boy and not get all sweaty :)

Natalie said...

1. I totally use my car as a fridge!
2. And the Happiness Project book (so good!) was right about bundling up. I'm SO much happier when my feet aren't numb.
3. BEST. list. ever. I really do wish people would appreciate winter. You shouldn't just want to "get through it". It's part of the seasons for a reason.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, yes to the Vitamin D! I can't believe I left that off the list.

Emily Hope, I totally thought of you when I was writing this! I really did!

Emily Richards (weird), YES, winter is so romantic and cuddly, I love it.

Natalie, I am so happy you've read that book, I love it!

Andrea said...

Also on the list should be taking advantage of all of the delicious peppermint treats that are tempting me from every corner. I love them! And you can only get them in the winter. Which, why is that? Why is peppermint a winter flavor when winter is so cold and peppermint is so cold? Anyway. Peppermint chocolate chip milk shake at chick-fil a. Do it.

Lindsey said...

GENIUS!!!!!

Nickell said...

Also...just be less of a whiny baby. I know, I'm super sympathetic. But seriously, it's beautiful outside. Many tears have been shed lately because we know this is our last (at least for a long while) wintery winter. And it hurts. Go to a park with Kade right now and tell me it's not the best day of your life. Watching little kids play in the snow is like the best winter remedy ever.

Amanda said...

I love this. I could live in Utah forever if I kept this list handy.

And double yes to the Peppermint milk shake at Chick-fil-a. It's my new obsession.