Friday, April 8, 2011

Thoughts on Life

Do you think our moms ever took multiple pictures of crafts they did? I really doubt it. I doubt they took even one picture. Because if they thought about it, they probably would have then rationalized, "Well, I'm going to display it in the house. Why would I need a picture? I'm not wasting my film on that. Maybe I'll get a perm today." Without a blog, there is definitely zero reason to take pictures of crafts. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I totally do it, even though I never end up blogging them. Along these same lines, do you think our moms ever took before and after pictures of spaces in their homes that they spruced up? I think the answer to this is also no.

Why in movies, every time someone says the line, "Ok, I'm a patient man [or woman, but it seems like a manly line to me], but . . ." they're always being super mean and impatient? Like, no you're not a patient man, actually, because you're being really terrible right now.

What is about British accents? They are magic. At work we get a lot of sales calls, and when I get those, I never put them through to the person they're asking for, I always just tell them they're not available and put them in voicemail. But today I got a call from a company that I always do that with, I recognized the name on the Caller ID before I even picked up, but then the guy on the other end was tricky. He had a British accent. And for some reason it made me think, "Oh, this is probably a legitimate call that Rick will want to take." What is that all about? Luckily I had my wits about me enough to pull it together and tell the charming Brit that he was welcome to leave a voicemail, but the advisor was not available to talk. But he almsot got me, I tell you what.

I think the Biebs and Rebecca Black are secretly in cahoots. Because every time I hear "Friday," I always eventually end up singing "Baby," because the chorus has that similar cadence. Cadence? Is that the word? I don't know. Maybe it's the melody that sounds similar. Whatever it is, I think they are both musical geniuses. And I still haven't seen Never Say Never. Who wants to go with me when it comes to the dollar theater?

Some day I would like to meet the person resonsible for inventing Reese's peanut butter cups in their miniature form and shake their hand. And tell them how much their creation means to me and my family, and tell them they are a genius.

At work what I mostly do is type numbers into Quattro Pro and create reports for our clients. Sometimes I am inputting negative numbers, sometimes positive ones, depending on if things were bought or sold. And today I had a deep thought while doing this--the program defaults to making everything positive. If you want a number to be negative, you have to do so intentionally. Shouldn't our lives be like that too? To automatically make everything positive, and make it so that you have to do a little bit of extra work for things to be negative? I like that. I do.

Remember how crazy Alanis Morrisette looks when she sings? She does this crazy arm dangling thing and it is so weird. The other day Chris and I watched some good old music videos. Like Torn, As Long as You Love Me, Foolish Games, Ironic--awesome stuff like that. Which led me to remember how creeperish Alanis looks when she's live. I'm not a fan. It makes me feel weird. Also, she is not a beautiful woman. She sort of looks like Steve Tyler to me. But not in a Liv Tyler sort of way. In a Steve Tyler sort of way. And if you're going to look like Steve Tyler, I'd say going the Liv route is the desirable way to do it, and not the Steve one.

Speaking of which, are music videos still a thing? We watched little snippets of like 10 of them the other day, all from the late 90s, and both of us were very familiar with every single one. I couldn't tell you what the video is like for ANY current song. Not a single one. Is this just because we're 25 and 28 and not 12 and 15, or is it because it's 2011 and not 1997? Your thoughts, please.

10 comments:

e.p. said...

I want to see NSN with you in the dollar. I want to dress up like JB to see it. Or Selena because they go steady.

Kate said...

Sometimes it feels like you and I are the same person. We should probably talk about Reese's Eggs/Pumpkins/Trees: so full of holiday goodness, so full of joy.

Kristin said...

yes. everything about this. yes. And NSN would ROCK. Dollar theater it is! buy a pack of M&Ms with a win movie tickets on the front and you'll automatically get $3 off admission at the dollar theater. just sayin. :)

Shelly said...

I think music videos are still a thing, but only for those who are really into them. Whereas in 1997 it was a cool thing to do and now it's just if you're into it kind of thing.

Alanis is creepy when she sings. It makes me feel like she is on drugs. Liv Tyler is beautiful. Well, Steve Tyler kind of is too, but for a man.

JB is always better than RB.

Also, the picture thing is so true. You know, we used to take a lot of pictures in our younger years. But now, I'd rather live the moment than document it. But that's just me.

Those are my thoughts.

Shelly said...

I don't really think you are "really dumb" but the temptation to vote for that reaction was too great!

Debbie said...

Umm... can I just tell you I thought the EXACT same thing about the Friday song. It is just "Baby." But, I so excited that its Friday. I gotta get down on Friday. Yesterday was Thursday and tomorrow is saturday and the day after that is sunday.
Love your blog Erin.

Jodi said...

I totally get the "Baby" song stuck in my head when I hear "Friday" and vice versa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rv1BZcksIc

This is my fav version so far

Erin said...

Kristin, YES! You are the queen of coupons and deals. I am totally going to buy those M&Ms.

Let's all go to NSN together. Also, I didn't even know we were calling it NSN. I'm not very cool.

kate said...

Totally agree with the Reese's miniature genius thing.

Also I agree with everything else including the positive thinking thing. Love it.

I do think music videos are still a thing though. I just think more people watch them on youtube now instead of on MTV, you know?

Becca said...

there is too much to say. I love this post and the previous one. And I think music videos are not as awesome because they are everywhere now. when thriller was the first for real (i think) music video, it was like WHOA, and continued to be that way...until You Tube. until everyone and their dog could make their own video, and post videos, and suddenly "videos" were not that amazing anymore. we are no longer impressed by people being able to lip sync to a song and have cool effects and angles and lighting...because we can all do that with our iPhones. or so I would imagine. Like the commercial says, I don't have an iPhone, so I don't really know what an iPhone can do, which is everything I'm assuming.

and I will make monkey bread. i have never had it. but i want to.