Sunday, May 17, 2009

thirteenpointone

Well, if you're a loyal follower of this blog, you know that for the last few months I've been preparing to run a half marathon. That race was last Saturday, and I have a lot to say about it.


It was an adventure from the beginning. The race was in Ogden, and rather than get up at 3:00 in the morning to drive up and get on the bus Saturday morning, we stayed in a hotel Friday night. It was my mom, my sister Char, one of my favorite former Young Women's leaders Monica, and my mom's running friend Linda. (Yeah, my mom has running friends. That's what happens when you're really intense about it.)


When we pulled up to the hotel, the ladies were all talking about things they hoped they hadn't forgotten, and my mom said, "Well, if I forgot anything else, at least I know for SURE that I have my shoes. That's the most important thing anyway." Then Char gasped. We all looked at her in shock, hoping she was kidding. She wasn't. She had forgotten her shoes, of all things.


So we got checked in to our hotel room, and we had been there about 15 seconds when Char and I realized we could climb out our room window onto the roof. Obviously we wasted no time in hoisting ourselves out the window (which hurt SO bad, it was all sharp on my legs)



and taking some amazing pictures.
It was pretty awesome. I don't recommend it for anyone 5'4 or shorter, however. Getting out was not too bad, but to get back in required me leaping into the loving arms of my mother.
It was amazing.

After our rooftop adventure, we set out to check in for the race and find Char some shoes. We went down and got our bag full of stuff, then got some directions to a running store. It sounded closer than it really was, and by the time we got there they were closed. Awesome. We did get a lovely walk through Ogden, however. It's not as ghetto as I thought it was. From the closed running store, we went to the mall and found a Sports Authority, which outfitted Char with some acceptable shoes.


With shoes in hand, it was time to carb load. We ended up at Cafe Rio, and I highly recommend the Ogden location. Everyone was so much nicer than at the Provo store. They're just laid back country folk, I guess. Everyone called me "miss." What is that? It was awesome.

Back at out hotel, we were all settling in to go to bed, and I decided (because I'm so funny) to pretend I had forgotten my shoes too. So I unzipped my bag, looked in, and said, "Oh no! Oh no. . . . Oh no." and pulled out my shoes. I did have them. And they were a right and a left. But they were from 2 different pairs of shoes! The left shoe was my old pair and the right shoe was my new one. It was very funny but kind of not, because we weren't close to home, and when I called Chris he said he was going to bed right then and was afraid he would die if he drove an hour and a half. So the plan was that he and my dad would leave Prove at 4:00 am (bless their hearts) to bring me my shoes before the race started at 7:00.

So I went to bed knowing my husband and dad would come through for me, but unfortunately, I am not accustomed to going to bed before midnight, and I didn't fall asleep until about 11:20. So when the alarm went off at 3:50--ooh boy. We were tired and sleepy and it was the middle of the night, but we loaded the school buses and drove up Ogden Canyon. The drive seemed really long, which worried me because I knew I had to run back. I kept thinking, ok bus, time to stop.

It finally did, and we were herded over to the trash can fires they had for us. It was like March of the Penguins, we were all huddled together for warmth and shuffling our feet. Every once in a while we would rotate so the outside people could be inside. Dear Kathleen found me and I got to hang out with her and Peter before the race, which I was glad for because when you're huddling by a fire you want to be with your peeps.


My dad called me and said he and Chris were there, so I ran (get it?) to find them. I felt so relieved to finally have everything ready to go. I also felt pretty fancy having matching shoes on. And it was excellent to get some warm hugs from a guy wearing a coat before the race.


7:00 rolled around and it was time to start. We all gathered at the starting line, and as the band played "Long May You Run," we started. It was freezing but I had a ton of energy. The only uphill of the race is at mile 14, which for us half runners was mile 1. That was perfect, because it didn't even faze me. I felt awesome.

And amazingly, I continued to feel awesome for 10 miles after that. I had made the decision not to bring my ipod, and I will forever be glad about that. It was so amazing to just think. And I had to do a lot of thinking about other things so I didn't get tired. I run slowly so I don't hate life too much, so I knew I had a long way ahead of me.


I thought about how far ahead Kathleen and Peter were.


I thought how I wouldn't be that surprised if my mom passed me up (she did the full marathon because she's hardcore).

I thought about moving to Eden someday.

I sang songs to myself like "TNT! I'm dyno-mite!" and Eye of the Tiger.

If people around me started walking I trash talked them in my head and said, "You're walking? Yeah right, man. I'm not even tired."

I thought about what I was going to write on my blog about the race.

I thought about how pretty Ogden Canyon is.

I thought how in some other countries, women can't just put on a pair of shorts and go running. They can't even walk around by themselves. I loved America.

I said some prayers.

I pretended Chris would be around every corner, and that I would get to jump into his arms if I kept going.

I thought about how glad I was that 6 miles of this race is down a canyon.

I thought about my peeps, and wished that someday we could all run a race together. Who's in?

I thought about Pappy running from campus to the Y and back in 35 minutes.

I praised myself for reaching the 7 mile mark, because that was the farthest I'd ever run before the race. I do not recommend being lax in your training, as I was.

I thought about the cute girl I visit teach who told me I could definitely do it.

I thought about the first marathon guy to pass me--at mile 8. We started at the same time. That means he ran 21 miles in the time I ran 8. My gosh.

I imagined pounds literally falling off my body as I ran, because that's what running makes me feel like--instantly skinnier.

By mile 10, my thoughts had shifted more. I was thinking things like,

What in the H? How can this not be over yet?

and

I might die. This might be how I die.

and

When did it get so hot?

and

WHY IS THE FINISH LINE SO FAR AWAY?

But eventually, miraculously, the finish did come. We had been running on the river trail, but then we were redirected onto a stretch of street that was only about 5 blocks but felt like 5 miles.

It seemed so amazingly far, I wanted to cry. But I knew that if I stopped and walked, my mom would suddenly run up behind me and shame me, so I kept going.

When I had about 100 yards left, I saw some cute friends from our ward there to cheer on their mom and friends, and waved to them. Then from the other side, an adorable boy in a dark blue shirt and jeans ran out to me. I've never been so excited to see him. I gave him a weak hug and kiss on the cheek, and he said, "Do you want me to run the rest with you?" I feebly nodded and off we went.




I tried somewhat unsuccesfully to smile for my dad as he snapped some pics. The first time I saw these, I thought, "Nope. No way am I putting those on my blog." But upon further thought, this is an excellent way to show you how I felt. You see how awful I look? That is EXACTLY how I felt.





I ended up coming in about 2 seconds after the first girl to finish the full marathon. It made me feel kind of awesome, like the second place winner. My time was 2 hours and 56 minutes.


We finished, got some water, I laid on the ground for a while, then waited for my rocking mom to finish. She came in, as I knew she would, in under 4 hours, which means she qualified for the Boston Marathon for her age group. Her time was 3 hours and 38 minutes. She is way too awesome. And pretty intense, look at that girl go. This is what she was doing as we were yelling "Yay, Mom is awesome!" 100% focus.





Char found us eventually--long story, but she ran the FIRST half, and not the second half like I did--and it was so exciting to all be there together. We found Kathleen and Peter too. They had finished almost an hour before I did because they are awesome.




Me and my girls.




Did I mention my mom got third in her age group? At her first marathon ever? This is why she's awesome.




It was the hardest thing my body has ever done, but I think I will do it again. I'd really have to be persuaded to do a full marathon--I don't like running THAT much--but the length of the half suits me, I think.


I hear that after you have a baby, you forget how much it hurts. That's why women have more than just one. I think running does the same thing. Because when I look back on the experience, it was fun, and I enjoyed it, and I think I will do another one. I know it hurt a lot, but the satisfaction outweighs the pain. Speaking of which, the 10K at 10K is in August . . . who's with me?

16 comments:

KILEY said...

my blogroll did not update your blog for me so I did not know you posted! I am so proud of you. I will definitely run a race with you! Also, the picture with Chris running out to run with you made me cry. Seriously. I can't believe you didn't tell me that part.

just nikki said...

I am so impressed! With you, but also with your kick-butt mom. She is buff!

I'd offer to run with you, but I think I'd barely make it through a 5k.

Ana Steinagel said...

Erin, you're my hero. Seriously. I'm proud of you. I'm doing a 5k on the 4th of July. I'd love to do a 10K in August with you. It'd be great.

Andrea said...

Um, I cried too. Your husband running the last bit with you...so cute. I love you guys, and I am so proud of you. And no i-pod. good job. The world needs more Erin Tanner Mecklenburgs, I think.

e.p. said...

You ARE awesome, Erin. This was so inspiring and so wonderfully written. Thoughts are so powerful, my friend. Thank you for sharing them with me.

Maggie said...

GOOD JOB ERIN! You inspire me! I've GOT to start training! I know that if you can do it so can I!

I've missed your blog lately. I'm glad you posted.

Lindsay said...

Way to be hardcore Erin! I love your thoughts during the race :)

alexandria said...

You dont look awful at all in those photos, you look deticated and like a runner! I am so proud of you because you give me inspiration to start running! And that picture of you and Chris is priceless!

Kristin said...

oh my gosh you are outRAGEOUS! I love this post. and I love you. and you make me WANT to run like you. [not like your mom...that might actually kill me] but I would LOVE to run with you. I think it's time to make some time to get off my butt and RUN. :) you are inspirational. and awesome. and wonderful. p.s. your bff hasn't done anything obnoxious lately...everything's more boring without you... *sigh*

Marissa Mills said...

yes I did stock you and that is how I found your blog. Erin we are next door neighbors and I spent 2 months in Europe with you and yet I am finding so much about you. Well done on the half marathon! That is such a huge achievement and something I really want to do. You amaze me

Chuck and Stacie said...

You are absolutely amazing! This was such a great post!

Cierra said...

my blogroll didn't update your blog either! it's a good thing i had a "6th sense" and checked anyways, cause this was an awesome post and i'm so glad i read it.

you are most definitely the bomb dot com! the farthest race i have run is a 5k...i want to run a half marathon somday like you! wouldn't it be amazing if all the 6 chicks ran it together??

congrats on finishing and being awesome. and i honestly think you don't look too shabby in your pictures at the finish line! if that was me, my face would be splotchy and red as a tomato!

Kathleen said...

YAY! Fun times. I love you and was glad to warm you by the fire. Good work. Walking is for wimps...you showed them!

Julia said...

Way to go, Erin! That is so awesome. It makes me want to get back into running. August 10K, here I come!

Amy said...

Let's totally do it! Don't you live just a little bit aways from me? We could totally run together!

Katie said...

Okay, I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! You are hilarious. Now if I am stuck at a computer with nothing to do for several hours, I can just go read everything you have been posting for the last year or so.