Monday, April 6, 2009

Take advantage of the downhills

As you all know, I have recently taken up running. Running is very hard, and it does not come naturally or easily for me at all. Because of this, I have to give myself a lot of motivating pep talks as I run. I think about people who can't run. I see seasoned, toned runners and think, "I will look like her if I can just make it to this corner." I tell my body that I am in charge, and it can't control me.

Today on a run, I thought about some running advice my mom once gave me. She told me to always take advantage of the downhills, and just let your body go, and that way when you get to an uphill it's not so bad. So this is something I try to do, especially when the terrain goes up and down a lot--I spot an uphill and think, "OK, if I see any sort of decline I'm going to really take advantage."

But today on my run I thought about the downhill advantage in a very different way. Last night I received word that my father in law had passed away after a long and intense bout with cancer. Chris was able to be there in California when he died, and for that I am eternally grateful. I am still here in Utah but will be heading out later in the week for the funeral.

I know it is a hard time we have ahead. But the easier and happier times we've had will get our little family through this mourning process. But most especially, the knowledge that he is somewhere far better than this earth, somewhere with no pain or worldly cares, and that someday we'll all be together as a big family--that is something that can get anyone through a tough uphill climb.

6 comments:

alexandria said...

Very true--running apparently can be a metaphor for life. Again, we are thinking about you and Chrisin this time and are grateful we have you as friends.

Suzana said...

i'm so sorry to hear about chris's dad. we will keep you in our prayers. you inspire me.

Cierra said...

i too am so sorry to hear that, but i think your words express the optimism that comes from the gospel and the knowledge and testimony of eternal families.

Kathleen said...

I love you both. Keep running, the hill will pass.

Kristin said...

Erin you are beautiful. You are so strong! How blessed we are to have this knowledge. :) your family is in our prayers.

Becca said...

I am sorry too! Poor Chris! How old was his dad?

I like your analogy. What a great way to look at hard things.