Friday, December 26, 2008

13 Mile

What's 13 Mile? You haven't heard of it? It's the movie about the rapper!

Actually, this is a big deal for me. My mom and sister decided this week that they are going to run a marathon in May. They turned to me as they discussed it and said, "Erin, do it with us!"

Now, I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination. I think the farthest distance I've ever run without stopping was like 3, maybe 4 miles. So obviously I told them, "Yeah right. I don't even like to run. A marathon sounds like torture to me. No thank you."

But then they countered it with this--"What about the half marathon?"

This was an interesting proposition. 13 miles. Not until May. In Ogden Canyon, downhill-ish for all or most of it (or so they said). This I could probably do.

I have been wanting to get into shape, but for me, just wanting to do it isn't motivation enough. But when your mom signs you up for a half marathon, pays for it online, and your sister prints off a 16 week training schedule from Runner's World and puts it in your hands, you get motivated.

So. I am going to run a half marathon in May. And to further help motivate myself, I will blog about it a couple of times a week until it happens. You see, if other peeps know I'm doing it, I will feel ashamed and embarrassed and unwanted and ugly and stupid and fat and lazy and basically like a criminal if I don't follow through with my weekly goals.

Also, if anyone wants to join me, either in the race or just in my workouts every week, let me know. I think I will be doing most of my running at BYU at the Smith Fieldhouse track, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings.

Next week I begin. 6 miles next week. Let me know if you're coming. And I'll let you know if I get it done.

8 comments:

Becca said...

ERIN! I am so excited for you! I have done 2 half marathons in my time = a marathon. hahah. And I would TOTALLY do the Ogden one with you in May except I would be 7 months pregnant. I don't think it would be a good idea.

Half Marathons are TOTALLY doable and you can totally do it. I will be there to cheer you on. Actually, I will be there, but it's because my sisters are doing the marathon portion of that Ogden day and my brother is doing the half marathon, so it's like a family event or something.

Anyway, good luck. I loved running when I was training for my races. I've hated it since having a kid. My body just isn't the same. a lot of extra stuff bouncing around that didn't used to happen. SO get in shape and running before you have kids and have extra bounce in your step to ruin it all. HAHAHA.

the.kim.peterson said...

Good on you my love! After being in taiwan, eating more food than I ever did in the U.S., eating oilier food and not being able to do yoga as often, I have lost weight. Apparently my face is much skinnier... hmmm.

Andrea said...

I think I'm in to train with you. I'm not sure if I'll actually do the real thingy, but I do want to try.

alexandria said...

Im so proud of you! That will be so cool to say that you have done that especially because you are like me in the no fun running department!!

Cameron said...

Let's RUN baby! I can't keep up with Cameron-I'd much rather run with you. :) When's the deadline to sign up? I might do it-not sure yet, but maybe. I think I need someone to supply me the same motivation. lol

Ana Steinagel said...

I'm calling you. I need more info... but it might help with my goal too if I had someone to do all this with.

Karyn said...

Yay! Another runner. I just ran a 3-miler tonight. Felt SOOOO good. I'm the opposite of Becca though. Running AFTER kids is much better, just so you can finally get rid of all that non-essential extra jiggley stuff bounching around :)

YOU CAN DO IT! And get lots of running buddies. I run by myself all the time now. But when I was starting, running was WAY too boring to just do by yourself. And then you can motivate each other.

And then if you do a half in May then you'll be right on track to do a whole in October. Can you say ST. GEORGE marathon?? I ran this one in 2007 and L-O-V-E-D it!! But you have to register early, so think about it . . . and then do it :)

I'm excited for you. I hope you like running as much as I have!

(Okay, done rambling now. I just get a little excited about running :)

Kathleen said...

Andrea will do the real thing, because it would make me happy and I'll run with you too. M,W, F works perf for me! I'm so proud of you by the way.